Homemade Wheat Bread
1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
2 teaspoons dough enhancer
2 1/2 cup of warm water
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups stone ground wheat flour
3 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole grain flour of your choice (oat, flax seed, cornmeal, rye, barley, etc.)
- In a large mixing bowl add the yeast, dough enhancer, water, honey and oil. Mix well and let sit until yeast begins to bubble.
- Add the salt and half of the flour. If using a mixer, beat on medium for 2 minutes. If not, just stir the wet dough vigorously by hand.
- Begin to add the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time, incorporating well before adding the next cup.
- When the flour has been added, turn the dough onto a clean, floured surface.
- Knead the dough vigorously with your hands for 10 minutes. You may want to divide the dough into two parts before doing this unless you have very strong hands.
- When the dough is smooth and elastic, oil a bowl and place the dough inside. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and wait 2-3 hours or until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch the dough down and dump it out of the bowl. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts and shape into loaves.
- Grease 3 large loaf pans. Set the loaves inside. Let raise for 30-60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake in a 350 degree F pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when thumped.
- Let the bread rest for 20 mintes before cutting into the loaves.