Best Refried Beans Recipe
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 slices cooked bacon
3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
12 cups water
2-3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 whole bay leaves
- In a medium size skillet, fry the oinion, garlic and jalapeno in olive oil until the onions and garlic are translucent.
- Rinse your pinto beans in water and pick out any small rocks.
- Put the beans, water, onions, garlic, jalapenos and cooked bacon into your crock pot. Turn the pot on high.
- Let the mixture cook for 8 hours while you are gone at work or overnight while you are sleeping. Test the beans to make sure they are very soft.
- Remove and discard the bacon and bay leaves.
- Add salt, pepper and cumin. Turn off the crock pot and let the beans cool.
- At this point the beans should look like a thick stew. If there is any excess liquid, remove it and discard.
- Use a potato masher to smash the beans right there inside the crock pot. (This saves you from having to add extra oil to your beans while "refrying" them.)
- Garnish with fresh chiles, tomatoes, diced red onions or cheese. Serve and enjoy!
Tip: These beans store very well in the freezer. Put your leftovers in tupperware and you'll be all set next time to need an easy meal!