Perfect Homemade Pretzels Recipe
If you are looking for a fun activity to do with your kids, get them involved in making the pretzels. Kids can help make the dough and roll it out into interesting shapes. Let them use their imagination to create pretzels of every shape and size. For little ones, this is a great chance to practice numbers and letters. You can make the whole alphabet with a single batch of pretzel dough. Whatever you decide, pretzel making is tons of fun for the whole family!
Homemade soft pretzel recipe
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 package yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups flour
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- 12 cups water
- 2 eggs beaten with 2 tablespoons cold water
- Coarse kosher salt
- In your mixer, combine water, yeast, sugar, butter and salt. Using your bread hook attachment, stir in flour one cup at a time. When all the flour has been added, place the dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth. (Approximately 5-7 minutes.)
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick cooking spray and place the dough inside. Cover with a wet towel and let dough rise until doubled. (Approximately 1-2 hours.)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and grease 2 large baking sheets. Beat 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons cold water and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, place the dough. Divide into 10 equal pieces. Roll the dough into 20-inch ropes and shape into pretzels.
- Boil 12 cups water with baking soda in a large cooking pot on your stove.
- With a large slotted spoon, gently dip each pretzel into the boiling water on your stove. Keep it submerged for 30 seconds and remove.
- Place the boiled pretzel on the greased baking sheet and gently brush with egg mixture. Sprinkle with coarse kosher salt (or leave them plain if you prefer) and bake at 425 for 15-17 minutes or until shiny golden brown.
- If you decide to leave the pretzels bald, when they come out of the oven, you can brush them with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar for a sweet treat!